Libya halts operations at El Feel oilfield, Zueitina port due to protests -Breaking
[ad_1]

BENGHAZI, (Reuters) – Libya stopped oil production at its El Feel oilfield Sunday. Two sources from Zueitina said that exports were suspended there after protesters demanding the resignation of Abdulhamid al-Dbeibah, a Tripoli-based prime minister.
The suspension of operations in El Feel or Zueitina will result in Libya losing its oil production. Before the outages, Libya produced an average 1.21million barrels per day. El Feel is unable to produce 70,000 barrels per hour due to force majeure.
Since March, Libya had two rival governments. The eastern-based parliament elected Fathi Bashagha as Dbeibah’s replacement. This renewed a conflict between east and west. Bashagha has not yet made it into Tripoli and Dbeibah refused to give power to Bashagha.
NOC, the state-owned oil firm, stated in a statement, that El Feel had been occupied by a group of individuals it didn’t identify and was preventing employees from working.
Two Zueitina engineers said that on Sunday, protesters broke into the port and prevented a tanker carrying 1 million barrels from the port.
Zueitina’s protestors stated in a viral video that they intend to stop oil production from the port of Zueitina and other areas until Dbeibah leaves office.
Protesters described themselves to be Zueitina residents and elders.
According to the Ministry of Finance, NOC had transferred $6 billion from oil revenue to the account at the Central Bank on Thursday.
Dbeibah’s Office did not immediately respond to our request.
On Sunday, the ministry for oil and gas declared in a statement “will damage NOC’s position in global markets because it is inability to execute its obligations.”
[ad_2]
