Stock Groups

Johnny Depp’s lawyers to resume questioning of ex-wife in defamation fight -Breaking

[ad_1]

© Reuters. Johnny Depp (actor) and Amber Heard (actors) watch as Johnny Depp leaves Fairfax County Circuit Courthouse in Fairfax Va. Monday, May 16, 2022. Steve Helber/Pool via REUTERS

By Lisa Richwine

LOS ANGELES (Reuters), Amber Heard from “Aquaman” will continue to be questioned by Johnny Depp’s lawyers on Tuesday. Heard has previously accused Johnny of emotional and physical abuse during their brief marriage.

Heard is being sued by the “Pirates of the Caribbean” actor for $50 million. Heard claims that she defamed Depp when she said she was a domestic abuse victim. Heard, 36 years old, counter-sued Heard to recover $100 million. He claims that Depp made her look bad by calling her an ogre.

She told jurors Monday that it was torture to hear her claims being challenged and she would have to defend herself before the public.

Through tears, she stated that “I want you to continue your journey.” She said, “I want Johnny too to go on.” He should leave me alone.

Depp’s legal team began discrediting her claims with photographs of Heard appearing on red carpets during the couple’s relationship and “The James Corden Show.”

After Heard had claimed Depp had struck him with his hands on occasions, the public appearances occurred shortly thereafter. The pictures did not appear to show any injuries.

Heard stated that she suffered some harm and thought her nose had broken. However, the injuries weren’t severe enough for anyone to see or they were covered with makeup. She claimed she applied ice to reduce swelling.

Depp testified that Heard never struck him and that she was their abuser. In early 2015, Depp claimed that she had thrown a vodka glass at him and severed the tip of his right thumb.

Heard stated that the finger injuries were not her fault and she said that she was only hitting him in self-defense or for her sister.

Actors were wed February 2015, and divorce proceedings took place two years later.

Heard wrote an opinion piece in December 2018, which was published by the Washington Post. This is the basis of the legal case. Although Depp was not mentioned in the article, his lawyer said that Heard had made reference to him.

Depp was once a Hollywood star and said that Heard’s accusations cost him everything. Depp’s new movie “Pirates of the Caribbean”, was put on hold and he was replaced by “Fantastic Beasts”, a spinoff of Harry Potter.

Heard’s legal team argued she was truthful and her opinion was free to express as it is protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Closing arguments have been scheduled for May 27,

Depp, who was accused of being a wife beater by the Sun tabloid in Britain, lost his libel suit less than 2 years ago. Heard was repeatedly assaulted by him, according to a London High Court judge.

Because the Washington Post is published in Fairfax County Virginia, Depp’s attorneys filed this case. The newspaper is not involved in the case.

[ad_2]