Ukraine rules out territorial concessions, as Russia steps up attacks -Breaking
[ad_1]
© Reuters. Local residents carry a large box by wheelbarrow through a badly damaged building next to Azovstal Steel Works during the Ukraine-Russia conflict, which took place in Mariupol (Ukraine), May 22, 2022. REUTERS/Alexander Ermochenko2/6
Max Hunder and Conor Humphries,
KYIV (Reuters – Ukraine has ruled out a ceasefire and any territorial concessions for Russia. The president of Poland said that any loss to Ukraine would be a “huge defeat” for the West, as he cautioned against appeasing Russian President Vladimir Putin.
On Monday, air raid sirens were heard across Ukraine. They sound the alarm to warn of possible attacks from Russia’s east and southern regions.
Russia is intensifying its bombardment of Mykolaiv and Donbas regions using air strikes and artillery fire in what Ukraine calls a “scorched earth” strategy for capturing control of the eastern front.
Andriy Yarmak, Ukraine’s presidential chief-of-staff stated in a Twitter (NYSE) posting on Sunday that the war must stop with Ukraine’s total restoration of its sovereignty and territorial integrity.
Andrzej Duda, Polish president, offered Warsaw his support and told Kyiv lawmakers on Sunday that Russia must withdraw completely. He also said that sacrificing any territories would prove to be an “huge blow” for the West.
“Worrying voices are saying that Ukraine must give in to Putin’s demands,” Duda stated, becoming the first foreign leader to speak to the Ukrainian parliament since the February 24th invasion by Russia.
Only Ukraine can decide its destiny.”
Poland and Ukraine reached an agreement to set up a common border customs control, and create a company for shared rail transport to facilitate movement and improve Ukraine’s exports.
Many Ukrainian refugees crossed into the European Union via border crossings in Poland, Slovakia Hungary, Hungary, and Romania. Over 3 million Ukrainians have been granted permission to reside, work, and receive social security benefits by Poland.
Ukraine has become one of the top exporters of grain and wheat worldwide. The result is that global food prices have soared as a result.
STRONGER SANCTIONS PLEA
The Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zeleskiy reiterated his call for more economic sanctions to Moscow during the same session of parliament.
He stated that half-measures shouldn’t be taken when aggressive behavior must be stopped.
Zelenskiy, speaking at a news conference together with Duda said that from 50 to 100 Ukrainians per day are being killed on the war’s eastern front. This was apparently a reference for military casualties.
Russia launched an offensive in Luhansk after the end of weeks of resistance by last Ukrainian fighters in Mariupol’s strategic port in southeast Ukraine.
According to interior ministry advisor Vadym denysenko, the heaviest fighting was concentrated around Lysychansk and Sievierodonetsk.
They form part of an eastern Ukrainian-held area that Russia attempts to control since mid-April. Russia abandoned its attempt to seize Kyiv and instead focuses on the south-east and east.
Seri Gaia (NASDAQ:), the governor of Yugansk, said in a localtelevision interview that Russia was using “scorched-earth”tactics.
“They are wiping Sievierodonetsk out of the face theearth,” said he.
Russian bombardment and heavy fighting near Sievierodonetsk have continued. However, the Ukrainian military statement said that invading troops failed to seize Oleksandrivka.
Russian defense ministry stated that its troops destroyed Ukrainian command centers, troops and ammunition depots in Don bas in the southern region with artillery and airstrikes.
Reuters couldn’t independently verify the battlefield reports.
Russian-backed separatists had already occupied parts of Yugansk, Don’ts and the surrounding areas before the invasion. However, Moscow wants to seize any remaining Ukrainian territory.
According to the Ukrainian military, seven civilians died and eight were injured in Russian-led attacks on Donbas. The Yugansk numbers were not revealed.
No CEASEFIRE, NO CONCESSIONS
Zelenskiy adviser Mykhailo Podolyak was Ukraine’s chief negotiator. She rejected any calls for an urgent ceasefire, and ruled out territorial concessions. In an interview to Reuters on Saturday she stated that concessions could backfire as Russia will use any break in fighting in order to return stronger.
U.S. Defences Secretary Lloyd Austin has called for an immediate cease-fire, as well as Mario Draghi (Italian Prime Minister).
After enduring a string of defeats over nearly three months, Putin won the battle for Mariupol.
Russia has full control over Mariupol, giving Russia the command of a land route connecting the Crimean Peninsula to Russia, which Moscow took in 2014. It is also connected with Russia via parts of Ukraine and mainland Russia, both of which were held by pro-Russia separatists.
On Sunday, Russian troops entered Mariupol’s Azovstal steelwork and started clearing out the debris and mines from the demolished complex.
In addition to sanctions, Western countries have increased weapons supplies and other assistance for Ukraine. This includes a $40 billion new package from the United States.
Moscow claims that Western sanctions against Kyiv and Western aid to Kyiv are part of a “proxy war” between Washington and its allies.
Putin refers to the invasion as a “special military operations” that was intended to dearm Ukraine and eliminate radical anti-Russian nationists. The war has left thousands dead in Ukraine, and has displaced many millions of people.
[ad_2]
