Philippines ‘Bong’ vs ‘Bongbong’ election drama builds, Duterte move eyed -Breaking
[ad_1]
© Reuters. Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte shakes hands with Christopher “Bong” Go (phone) after he has filed his certificate of candidacy to be president of the Philippine National Elections 2022 at the Commission on Elections. Manila, Philippines. November 13, 2012.2/5
By Karen Lema
MANILA, Reuters – Philippine voters were anticipating more drama in a Presidential race. There is already a match between “Bongbong”, “Bongbong,” and “Bongbongong” as well as a challenge from President Rodrigo Duterte for his No. 2 spot. 2 post.
It is likely that reforms will prevail over the powerful family dynasties, as evidenced by the jockeying just before the Monday registration deadline.
Senator Christopher “Bong” Go, a Duterte loyalist, registered https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/daughter-philippine-president-duterte-files-candidacy-vp-poll-body-2021-11-13 on Saturday to run for president after withdrawing from the vice presidential race, pitting himself against rivals including Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr, son of the late dictator.
Sara Duterte Carpio was expected to run for her father’s position, but the Constitution bars him from running again. She registered instead to be vice-president.
Duterte’s communication secretary, Martin Andanar, said on Saturday the 76-year old leader, who only last month promised to retire https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/philippine-president-duterte-says-he-is-retiring-politics-2021-10-02 from politics, would throw his hat in the vice presidential ring and run against his daughter.
Duterte claimed on Sunday that his plans for 2022 would be known “in a matter hours” and that his full support was given to Go, a longtime aide who has said he does not wish to oppose the president’s child.
Go is widely considered the gateway to the president and could reap the benefits of the president’s popularity. Marcos claimed that Duterte-Carpio was the most popular mayor in Davao and he wants him to run for his ticket. Her response has not yet been received.
Both the Marcos-Carpio and Duterte–Carpio teams are worthy of attention, as both perform well in opinion surveys.
Antonio La Vina from the Ateneo de Manila University said that Marcos was a strong candidate based on all indicators.
Duterte-Carpio said that her decision not to pursue the No. Duterte-Carpio said on Facebook (NASDAQ:) that her decision to seek the No. 2 position was a way for her to reach her supporters halfway.
La Vina indicated that Marcos could lose votes if the vice-president runs with Go if he does.
Marcos, whose presidential candidacy https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/son-late-philippines-strongman-marcos-run-presidency-media-2021-10-05 has stirred anger among victims of his father’s brutal era of martial law, is facing a disqualification case.
In an interview, President Duterte said that he was surprised at his daughter’s plans for the election, since she has been leading the presidential polls.
It wasn’t something that I was aware of. “I don’t know.” Duterte claimed that we haven’t been speaking.” A transcript of the interview was given to reporters Sunday.
La Vina stated, “The drama has not ended.”
[ad_2]
