UN calls on Myanmar to halt excessive force after media reports five killed -Breaking
[ad_1]
© Reuters. Yangon residents beat pots on pans as they protest the crackdown by the coup soldiers. (Reuters). – Myanmar is being called by the United Nations for excessive force against unarmed civilians. This comes after five anti-coup protesters were killed and their car was rammed into by security forces, witnesses said.
Photos and videos shared on social media show a vehicle speeding through anti-coup protesters in Yangon on Sunday. The bodies were found on the roads. Witnesses said that dozens were hurt.
Ramanathan Balakrishnan (the U.N. resident coordinator in Myanmar) stated in a statement that those responsible for using excessive or disproportionate force against civilians should be held accountable.
According to Myanmar Now, the incident happened minutes after protestors formed a flash mob against a February 1 military coup. It said that 15 people were also arrested and at least 5 deaths had occurred.
Global New light of Myanmar state newspaper reported that eight protestors were detained and security forces had dispersed the “unlawful Riot”. The newspaper reported that three people were injured, but didn’t mention any deaths. It also stated that the arrested will face legal action.
According to the U.S. Embassy, it expressed concern at “reports that security forces have opened fire upon, run over, and killed many peaceful protestors”.
The anti-military protests continue despite the deaths of over 1,300 persons since February’s ouster of the elected government of Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, and subsequent return to military rule.
On Sunday, one protester claimed he fell after being struck by a car before running.
He beat me with his rifle, but I held my ground and pushed him back. He then shot at me immediately as I fled in a zigzag pattern,” the protester who refused to identify himself for security reasons told Reuters via telephone.
Two witnesses claimed that soldiers drove the car into the crowd and hit it from behind. The soldiers pursued protesters scattering in the streets, arresting some and beating others.
According to witnesses, some were left unconscious after being hit with head injuries.
Reuters attempted to contact the military spokesperson but was unsuccessful in reaching him to comment.
The military had previously stated that the army incited violence against protesters. The military claims it orchestrated the coup after Suu Kyi won November’s election.
At that time, however, the election commission disregarded the claim.
Suu Kyi (76) is facing a number of legal charges, including violations and incitement to COVID-19 protocols. Suu Kyi’s supporters claim that the accusations are politically motivated.
Fusion MediaFusion Media or any other person involved in the website will not be held responsible for any loss or damage resulting from reliance on this information, including charts, buy/sell signals, and data. You should be aware of all the potential risks and expenses associated with trading in the financial market. It is among the most dangerous investment types.
[ad_2]
