Stock Groups

Former Proud Boys chairman Tarrio arrested on U.S. Capitol riot conspiracy charge -Breaking

[ad_1]

2/2
© Reuters. FILEPHOTO: Enrique Tarrio (Proud Boys) speaks to journalists as he departs the D.C. Central Detention Facility in Washington. Tarrio had been there since September 2021. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein

2/2

Sarah N. Lynch. Jan Wolfe. Aram Roston

WASHINGTON (Reuters). Enrique Tarrio is the former head of U.S. Right-Wing Group the Proud Boys was charged with conspiracy for his alleged involvement in the plotting of the Jan. 6th 2021 attack on Capitol to prevent President Joe Biden from certifying the election.

Tarrio (38) appeared at a Miami federal court hearing. He was being held in a cellblock of a local jail. Prosecutors said that they wanted to detain him pending trial as they consider him a threat to the community.

Tarrio stated to the judge that he had “absolutely no savings” and that he just recently found a job as a printer of T-shirts, which pays him between $400-500 each week.

Andrew Jacobs was appointed federal defender to represent Tarrio. A detention hearing was scheduled for Friday, at 10 AM.

Tarrio’s lawyer did not reply to our requests for comment.

Tarrio is among the 775 criminally charged people for participating in the attack against the Capitol by Trump supporters. Tarrio wasn’t on Capitol grounds the day of attack, but is charged for helping to plan and direct the event.

Tarrio was taken out of their chatrooms on Tuesday morning by members of Proud Boys after they learned of his arrest.

In January, eleven Oath Keepers militia members, including Stewart Rhodes (the founder of the group), were accused of seditious conspiracies for their involvement in the planning and execution the attack.

Tarrio was also added to the case, which included other Proud Boy members Ethan Nordean and Joseph Biggs as well as Charles Donohoe and Zachary Rehl.

This case has been tentatively scheduled to be heard on May 18.

Tarrio was detained by Washington Police on Jan. 4, 2021 for destruction of property related to Dec. 12, 2020’s burning of the Black Lives Matter banner from a historic African American church.

For the charges, he was sentenced to a 4-month imprisonment.

Tarrio was released on Jan. 5th 2021. He was also ordered to remain out of the City as part of his freedom in the banner burning case.

According to the indictment, he was not required to comply and instead met with Rhodes, OathKeepers leader, in underground parking garage.

Reuters last month reported that Tarrio and Rhodes were being investigated by the FBI. Tarrio stated previously to Reuters that the meeting had not been planned and that he considered it insignificant.

He has also denied that any Proud Boys had planned ahead of Jan.

Tarrio, although he did not enter the Capitol together with the Proud Boys at the time, the prosecution says he nevertheless directed and supported his fellow Proud Boy members through the riots.

According to some reports, he also claimed credit for the events that took place on social media and in an encrypted chatroom.

Tarrio, according to indictment posted incendiary comments about 2020 presidential election to followers.

For instance, on Nov. 6, 2020, he said: “The media continually accuses me of wanting to start civil war. Be careful what the fuck, we aren’t looking to start one, but we want it finished.”

Tarrio was charged with conspiracy to obstruct a formal proceeding. This is a common felony that Capitol rioters face. This can result in up to 20 years imprisonment.

Rhodes faces charges for seditious conspiracy. It is a lesser known felony crime that punishes efforts to overthrow government.

Joshua James, one of the Oath Keepers’ defendants, plead guilty in a deal reached with prosecutors. It was an important victory for Justice Department. The Justice Department hopes to get similar convictions against the other defendants.

[ad_2]