U.S., S.Korea to update war plans while urging diplomacy with N.Korea -Breaking
[ad_1]
© Reuters. U.S. Defense secretary Lloyd Austin and South Korean Defense minister Suh Wook examine a guard for honor at a welcome ceremony to the Defense Ministry in Seoul (South Korea), December 2, 2021. Ahn Youngjoon/Pool via REUTERS2/3
Hyonhee Shin, Phil Stewart
SEOUL (Reuters), – The United States’ and South Korea’s military chiefs announced on Thursday that they would update the contingency war plans of both countries and review their joint military command. They also urged North Korea not to abandon diplomacy.
After talks with Suh Wook, U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin stated that North Korea’s weapons and missile developments were increasingly destabilizing for regional security.
Austin and U.S. Army Colonel Mark Milley (chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff) were in Seoul to hold the annual military talks. This was the first since U.S. president Joe Biden assumed office in January. It also marks the last such meeting before South Korean President Moon Jae In leaves office in May.
Since Biden’s departure from Donald Trump who held three summits in North Korea, North Korea continues to resist U.S. requests for diplomacy.
Austin said that the United States has called on North Korea to dialogue. He stated at a press conference that diplomacy was the best way to approach North Korea and should be backed by credible deterrents.
Suh stated that the changing security climate prompted South Korea and America to reach an agreement to revise their long-standing operational plans for possible conflict with North Korea as well as to review their combined military command.
In South Korea, the United States has approximately 28500 soldiers as a result. This is a remnant of the 1950-1953 Korean War which was ended with an armistice and not a peace agreement.
Currently the United States would be the commander of those troops in case of war. However, South Korea is seeking “operational control” or OPCON.
Suh claimed that the sides have made good progress towards completing conditions for OPCON transfers to South Korea.
He said that the United States pledged to continue its current troop levels in South Korea.
This week the Pentagon released a global posture review that calls for additional cooperation with allies and partners to deter “potential Chinese military aggression and threats from North Korea,” including a previously announced decision to permanently base an attack helicopter squadron and artillery division headquarters in South Korea.
Fusion MediaFusion Media and anyone associated with it will not assume any responsibility for losses or damages arising from the use of this information. This includes data including charts and buy/sell signal signals. You should be aware of the potential risks and financial costs involved in trading the financial market. It is among the most risky forms of investment.
[ad_2]
