Ottawa police vow crackdown on ‘dangerous’ trucker protest praised by Trump -Breaking
[ad_1]
© Reuters. As truckers and supporters protest the mandates of vaccines against coronavirus disease, (COVID-19), they block traffic from Manitoba Legislative Building. REUTERS/Shannon VanRaes2/5
By David Ljunggren
OTTAWA (Reuters). OTTAWA – Police from Ottawa have pledged to take action against a “increasingly hazardous” protest staged by hundreds of truckers, who shut down Ottawa’s center for eight consecutive days in an attempt to stop COVID-19 mandates.
According to police, the well-organised blockade relied partially on funds from American sympathizers. It is an unprecedented Canadian standard. Peter Sloly, Ottawa’s police chief, said that hundreds more truckers were expected to arrive in the city over the weekend.
Reporters were told by him that this was “an ever more volatile and dangerous demonstration”.
He said that protesters in downtown “remain highly organised, well-funded and extremely determined to resist all attempts to stop the demonstration safely.”
Many want to end the federal COVID-19 vaccination mandate for trans-border truckers. Others insist that Justin Trudeau, Liberal Prime Minister, be removed on grounds that he overstepped his authority and imposed restrictions in an effort to combat the pandemic.
GoFundMe said Friday that it had taken down Freedom Convoy’s donation page. This was because of its violation of terms of service.
The website stated in a statement that “we now have evidence by law enforcement dat the previously peaceful demonstration is an occupation with police reports regarding violence or other unlawful activity.”
According to the company, donors have until February 19th to ask for a complete refund. After that it will work with organizers to transfer all funds to established and credible charities validated by GoFundMe.
Premier Jason Kenney announced that ministers will meet next week in the west province of Alberta to lift restrictions on truckers who have blocked a border crossing with the United States.
On Twitter, he said, “We can, & must, continue our lives. We should restore our freedoms. And live with joy, rather than fear.”
Sloly claimed that he had been threatened with death by other officials and compared the demonstration to the Jan. 6, 2021 riot in Washington, when thousands of Trump supporters stormed Capitol to try to overthrow Joe Biden’s victory in the election.
Trump claimed that the truckers are peacefully protesting Justin Trudeau’s harsh policies. Trudeau has also destroyed Canada through his insane Covid mandates.
To the increasing fury of residents https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ottawans-fed-up-with-trucker-blockade-blame-police-inaction-2022-02-03, Ottawa police have so far largely stood by and watched as some protesters smashed windows, threatened reporters and health care workers and abused racial minorities.
Sloly claimed that the police would implement a strategy of “surge” and contain, with reinforcements of 150 officers being deployed downtown in order to restore law.
He stated, “The hate, violence and illegal acts Ottawa businesses have seen over the last week were unacceptable”.
Also planned are blockades in Quebec City as well Toronto. Authorities have closed off the access to downtown areas.
John Tory, Toronto mayor, stated that everyone wants to prevent the “situation” in Ottawa.
The protest is dividing the official opposition Conservative Party, which this week ousted its leader https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/main-rival-canadas-trudeau-ousted-after-losing-party-confidence-vote-2022-02-02 amid complaints he had not sufficiently backed the truckers.
Candice Bergen was Interim Conservative Chief and stated in an email to Globe and Mail that she felt it necessary to make this “the PM’s problem”. She also said they didn’t need to request the truckers leave.
Bergen sent a Friday statement to Trudeau asking him to give a clear plan for ending the blockade. He also urged the truck drivers not to get in the way.
Pierre Paul-Hus was the party’s public security spokesperson and tweeted that Friday’s blockade should be ended. Dean Allison, a fellow legislator, tweeted that Paul Hus had been wrong.
[ad_2]
