Stock Groups

Hong Kong ‘cannot afford to lose’ fight against surging COVID -Breaking

[ad_1]

5/5
© Reuters. After the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19), in Hong Kong on February 18, 2022, medical workers and ambulances were seen outside Caritas’ Medical Centre in Cheung Sha Wan. REUTERS/Joyce Zhou

2/5

Joyce Zhou and Twinnie SIU

HONG KONG (Reuters), – Carrie Lam, the leader of Hong Kong, said that it could take three months to stabilize a COVID-19 pandemic. The epidemic has engulfed health facilities and prevented a credible leadership election from being held.

Lam stated that the government must focus on the epidemic at a press conference following a week in which daily infection rates rose by 60%. She stated that it “cannot diverted…we cannot afford to lose.”

Hong Kong’s Quarantine Facilities have exceeded capacity. Hospital beds in Hong Kong are over 95% full. Some patients (including elderly) remain outside, in cold, rainy conditions.

The Chinese president Xi Jinping has declared that Hong Kong is the “overriding mission” in controlling the spread of the disease. He supports a “dynamic, zero-COVID strategy”.

Lam claimed that Hong Kong’s caseload was still high and that they were preparing plans for an obligatory testing program to reach the entire territory.

According to her, a lockdown in the whole city is not planned.

HSBC and Standard Chartered, global banks, announced that some of their branches had been closed on Friday due to infected staff.

Hong Kong recorded 3,629 COVID-19 daily new infections Friday. There were also 7,600 additional positive cases.

The death toll from the incident was 10 according to authorities. This brings it up over 240 deaths, which is still a significant decrease than other large global metropolises.

Before the temperature drops to about 10C (50F), The Hospital Authority stated that it would move patients from open-air outdoor beds to indoors.

Lam Foon aged 98 sat on Thursday at Caritas Medical Center on the city’s Kowloon Peninsula, wrapped in warm woollen blankets, on a hospital parking lot bed, while he waited for preliminary COVID-19 results.

She said, “I don’t feel so well,” while wearing a surgical mask next to another patient with a similar mask and shield.

29-year-old Medic Trevor Chung said that the government underestimated the severity of the situation.

He said, “I anticipate things to get worse.” “There are many seniors in the district and most aren’t vaccinated.”

HOTELSROOMS

Lam claimed that Hong Kong has more than 22,000 hotel rooms available for quarantine accommodations. He also said property developers were supporting Lam.

Lam claimed that 21 hotels have expressed interest in turning the facilities into isolated locations, surpassing “by a wide margin” Lam’s initial target of 7,000-10,000 rooms.

CK Asset Holdings is owned by Li Ka-shing, a billionaire. It said that it will provide over 3,000 rooms in four hotels. Sun Hung Kai Properties said that it might provide 1,000 rooms. They said that both developers would air a video promoting vaccine passports at its major malls. New World Development stated it would provide 700 rooms. Henderson Land (OTC) Development claimed that its founder, the Lee family, will donate HK$10,000,000 ($1.3million) in order to distribute anti-epidemic material to senior homes. Reuters published a September report that Beijing gave a mandate to global financial hub’s property tycoons to support Beijing’s interests.

[ad_2]