Analysts say images of ‘monster’ North Korean ICBM may have been from earlier launch -Breaking
[ad_1]
© Reuters. This undated photograph, released March 25, 2022 by North Korea’s Korean Central News Agency, (KCNA), gives an overview of state media coverage of the launch of “Hwasong-17” intercontinental missile (ICBM). KCNA via REUTERSJosh Smith
SEOUL (Reuters – After North Korea’s largest test-fire, the “monster” Hwasong-17 intercontinental missile (ICBM), was displayed this week by state media in North Korean after an analysis of images and video. Analysts believe the launch is an older one.
North Korea claimed that the Hwasong-17, a new ICBM which was unveiled in a military parade on October 2020 and never publicly tested before, was launched Thursday.
Analysts said that the images show North Korea’s launch actually took place on another date.
“Multiple pieces suggest that North Korea is lying about the events, at most, or a total fabrication of the Hwasong-17 success test,” NK Pro said. It’s a Seoul-based website that tracks North Korea.
The fact that North Korea carried out a long-range missile test on Thursday is undisputed. It was also one of the most extensive and high-profile tests ever undertaken by North Korea. South Korea and Japan independently confirmed the flight data, who also tracked it.
However, the NK Pro report suggested that South Korea may have reported the missile seen in media coverage as one that exploded mid-air after its launch on March 16.
North Korea did not publicly acknowledge the apparent launch of its test rocket or its failure. According to reports, debris fell on Pyongyang and nearby.
Michael Duitsman from the U.S-based James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies, (CNS) said that researchers at the center agree that North Korean footage was not only taken during the March 16th failed test but also the March 24th test which took place around 2:24 pm.
North Korean state media released video and photographs showing a Hwasong-17 taking off from its transporter, erector (TEL), vehicle at Pyongyang’s airport.
He stated on Twitter that “The TEL shadow matches a morning Launch much better than an evening Launch” (NYSE:).
Officials from the United States and South Korea previously stated that Hwasong-17 was successfully tested in launches on February 27th and March 5th, but at a limited range and capability. Washington and Seoul did not confirm the failure of the launch or comment on North Korea’s claim.
South Korean media cite unnamed officials as saying that they are investigating whether North Korea launched an older type of ICBM, Hwasong-15. This was an earlier test-fired missile in Nov 2017.
Duitsman stated that while this doesn’t mean the March 24, test was Hwasong-15 but it raises questions about the imagery.
Fusion MediaFusion Media and anyone associated with it will not assume any responsibility for losses or damages arising from the use of this information. This includes data including charts and buy/sell signal signals. Trading the financial markets is one of most risky investment options. Please make sure you are fully aware about the costs and risks involved.
[ad_2]
