Archbishop of Canterbury condemns Britain’s Rwanda asylum plan -Breaking
[ad_1]
© Reuters. FILE PHOTO – Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury, speaks at a memorial service for David Amess, a British politician who was murdered, held in London’s Church of St Margaret on October 18, 2021. Jonathan Brady/Pool via REUTERS/FLONDON (Reuters), – LONDON (Reuters), – A British plan to send tens, thousands of people seeking asylum to Rwanda from East Africa has been condemned by the Archbishopof Canterbury. The archbishop said the decision did not “stand the judgment of God.”
Justin Welby, who delivered a sermon at Canterbury Cathedral on Easter Sunday, stated that the British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s strategy raised “serious ethical issues”.
The deal allows anyone illegally arrived in Britain after Jan. 1, to be transferred to Rwanda.
Johnson’s government claimed it would break down people-smuggling network and stop migrants crossing the Channel. However, it was immediately and heavily criticised by politicians and charities.
“The details can be used by politicians or politics. Welby stated, “The principle must be able to withstand the judgement of God. It cannot.”
He said, “It can’t carry the weight of national responsibility, as a country founded by Christian values. Because sub-contracting our responsibilities to countries that seek to do well, such as Rwanda, is contrary to the nature of God, who took responsibility for our failings.”
Welby serves as the spiritual leader in the Anglican Communion worldwide of approximately 85 million Christians.
More than 28,000 refugees and migrants crossed from Europe into Britain last year.
France and Britain are at war with migrants arriving on unsecure boats. This is especially true after 27 migrants died when their boat burst in November.
[ad_2]
