Pakistan says cross-border attacks from Afghanistan have increased -Breaking
[ad_1]
© Reuters. FILE PHOTO – A view from the Kitton post on Afghanistan’s border in North Waziristan (Pakistan), October 18, 2017. REUTERS/Caren FirouzISLAMABAD, (Reuters) – Pakistan claimed on Sunday that incidents in which its security forces were targeted by cross-border attack from Afghanistan have increased significantly. It called upon Taliban authorities to take action against the militants, a day following purported Pakistani air strikes.
This incident has exacerbated already simmering tensions among the neighbors.
Taliban officials summoned Pakistani ambassador to Kabul Saturday in protest of the strike. Local Taliban officials and local residents claimed that strikes were conducted by Pakistani planes within Afghan airspace.
In a Sunday statement, the Pakistani foreign ministry stated that “incidents along the Pak-Afghan frontier have dramatically increased in the past few days” and added that Pakistani security forces were being targeted from across border.
The Taliban claimed that the attacks had been carried out “with impunity”, and Islamabad repeatedly demanded from Afghan authorities for action to end them. However, this was in vain.
Seven Pakistani soldiers were reported to have been killed on Thursday in North Waziristan. North Waziristan is bordered by Khost in eastern Afghanistan, which was where it’s believed that the strike took place Friday.
Taliban officials claim that they have managed to stop cross-border terrorist attacks since their August 2012 takeover of the country.
The strikes were not confirmed by Pakistan’s foreign ministry. They also did not address if the aircraft involved in the strike, which would mark the first official confirmation of a military incursion.
The Pakistan Embassy in Kabul denies that it conducted air strikes.
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan was concerned about the incident.
“UNAMA is deeply concerned by reports of civilian casualties, including women and children, as a result of airstrikes in Khost & Kunar provinces,” the body said on Twitter (NYSE:), adding it was working to establish the facts and verify losses.
It was unclear if the death toll had been confirmed. Khost’s Taliban representative claimed that at most 36 persons, including civilians had been killed.
Spokesman for the Taliban government issued an emphatic warning to Islamabad that there would be “bad consequences” in case of a repeat.
Zabihullah Mujahid stated that the defeat of the United States eight-months ago is a lesson for aggressors who wish to disregard Afghanistan’s freedom and territory.
[ad_2]
