Mexican foreign minister slams ‘extortion’ by Texas in border dispute -Breaking
[ad_1]
© Reuters. FILE PHOTO – Trucks stand in line to enter the United States via the Jeronimo-Santa Teresa International Bridge, which connects the cities of Ciudad Juarez and Santa Teresa in Nuevo Mexico. This bridge was opened on April 14, 2022. REUTERS/Jose Luis Gonzalez/File photoMEXICO CITY, Reuters – Mexican foreign minister said Sunday that measures agreed between Texas and Mexico last month to increase border security in response to Texan pressure on immigration were “extortion”.
Texas Governor Greg Abbott struck deals with Texas governors in the borders states of Chihuahua (Coahuila), Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, and Tamaulipas after Texan security measures were increased to combat smuggling and counter-terrorist trade.
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador reacted with anger to the episode. He called Texas’ behaviour “despicable” and Marcelo Ebrard (his foreign minister) also responded.
Let me quote it: It’s an exortion scheme or more accurately, it is extortion. I will close the border, and you must sign what I write. “That’s not an agreement, that is when I and you are in agreement on some thing,” Ebrard said to Milenio while visiting Nuevo Leon.
Abbott’s office was unable to respond immediately to inquiries beyond normal business hours.
Ebrard didn’t take exception with Mexican governors and said that there was no other option.
We are not ready to allow a governor to extort Mexico. He stated, “I won’t allow that.”
The spokesperson of the Mexican foreign minister said that Ebrard has been interviewed by Milenio.
Abbott, who is up for reelection in the governor’s race, stated that Texas reached an agreement with the Mexican state to strengthen border security and curb illegal immigration.
An unprecedented number of illegal immigrants have been arrested this year trying to enter the United States from Mexico.
[ad_2]
