Buffalo massacre suspect invited people to review his attack plans -NYT -Breaking
(Reuters) – An 18-year old man was accused of carrying out the fatal mass shooting at Buffalo, New York. He invited others to join a Discord chatroom to view his plans, according to the New York Times. The New York Times reported Tuesday that a message from Discord had been sent.
Payton Gendron (white) was charged by the FBI with an act of “racially motivated violence extremism”. He opened fire on Saturday from a Buffalo grocery shop in a mostly African-American neighbourhood.
Blacks were responsible for 11 out of the 13 gunshot victims. Ten victims died in the shooting rampage that was partially live streamed by a social media platform.
Gendron made several posts about his attacks plans in Discord, which was accessible only to him. New York Times reports that Gendron also posted hand-drawn maps showing the Tops Friendly Market, which was the location of the attack.
Discord said to Discord that they know the suspect set up a private, invitation-only server in order to keep a diary and chat log.
It said: “Approximately 30 mins prior to the attack however, a small amount of people were invited. They joined the server. Our records show that no one else saw this diary chat log on the private server before then.
Gendron might have invited someone to join the server, but it was not immediately clear. Discord has not responded to my request for comment.