Stock Groups

Myanmar ‘special command’ authorised lethal attacks on civilians

[ad_1]

© Reuters. FILEPHOTO: People protest the military coup by standing next to soldiers in Yangon, Myanmar on February 15, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo

(Reuters). Myanmar’s junta chief set up a special command one day after last year’s coup. It was only responsible for the deployment and operation of troops in urban areas. They also authorized lethal strikes on civilians unarmed, according to human rights investigators.

Fortify Rights, Yale Law School’s Schell Center and Fortify Rights both claimed that the junta leaders used snipers in order to intimidate protesters. Soldiers were then instructed to do crimes and received a manual called “fieldcraft”, which had no rules or guidelines.

Leaked documents were analysed and 128 testimonials from different sources, including witnesses, survivors, and ex-military and police officers, to determine the extent of turmoil that occurred in Myanmar during the six months following the February 1st coup.

They stated that they had verified and obtained internal memos from the police ordering them arbitrarily to arrest activists, protestors, members, or supporters of the ex-ruling party.

Matthew Smith (head of Fortify Rights) and coauthor of the report said that all those responsible should be prosecuted. He also recommended members of UN push for an international arms embargo against Myanmar as well as international legal action against the generals.

The military spokesperson for Myanmar did not respond immediately to requests for comment regarding the report’s conclusions.

Fortify Rights is an independent non profit organisation, based in Southeast Asia. It was established in 2013 by donors from America, Europe and Asia. The organization has done extensive work in Myanmar.

Yale Law School established the Schell Center in 1989 to allow law students to focus on international human right and help human rights organisations.

Global pressure will be added to the military’s ability to end its anti-terrorist tactics and use of bombing and air strikes on civilian areas.

The incident comes one week after the U.N. reported that the Myanmar military was guilty of war crimes, and crimes against humanity. Although the junta is yet to comment, it has dismissed allegations of atrocities as foreign interference.

This report, “Nowhere is Safe”, identified 61 commanders of military and police who, according to researchers, should be investigated for crimes versus humanity. Security sources also provided information about the command chain.

Six active-duty soldiers were among them, one colonel and two majors.

Researchers claimed that they identified more than 1,000 military units in the area of the crackdown. They suggested this could aid prosecutors to locate perpetrators.

The new special command of the Junta’s chief Min Aung Hlaing in Naypyitaw, which was headed by four top generals, said that no other person is authorized to make decisions about operations by troops in cities and towns.

Roger Polack (visiting fellow at Schell Center, coauthor of report) stated that the junta would continue persecuting its opponents and murder civilians if there is no concerted effort made to end ongoing atrocities.

[ad_2]