S.Korea’s Yoon says he will move presidential office to defence ministry -Breaking
[ad_1]
© Reuters. South Korea’s President-elect Yoon Sukyel addresses a press conference regarding his plans to relocate his presidential office. It was held in Seoul, South Korea on March 20, 2022. Jung Yeon-je/Pool via REUTERSMinwoo Park and Josh Smith
SEOUL (Reuters). South Korean President-elect Yoon Suk–yeol announced on Sunday that he would move his presidential office from Blue House to Defence Ministry compound. This is a break with centuries of tradition. The cost for this step was estimated at $40 million.
Yoon narrowly beat a March 9 bitter election and had promised to move the office to an easier location, as well as open Seoul’s Blue House to the public.
Also, on Sunday, he said he was moving his residence to Hannam-dong. Hannam-dong is home to many business executives as well as diplomats.
South Koreans are not happy with Yoon’s plans. Even supporters urge Yoon limit inconveniences to those and businesses located near Yoon.
After some Democratic Party rivals accused Yoon that they were influenced by geomancy masters who originated in China, the Blue House’s move sparked a heated debate among feng shui specialists.
In the capital’s Yongsan neighborhood, the headquarters of the defence ministry are located next to a large former U.S. military installation that was largely abandoned and relocated to the south.
Yoon stated that while it is difficult, the decision was made to ensure the nation’s future. “I ask people to see that this isn’t just a move to another place, but my resolve to work with people and fulfill my promises to them.
Feng Shui masters believe that the Blue House is inauspicious. After leaving office, four of six Presidents from the nation’s 25-year democratic past were imprisoned and/or killed.
Yoon’s staff has denied any suggestion that Yoon was motivated by such concerns. They said it would improve access to aides and public information, and that the Blue House Executive Mansion had been transformed into a “royal Palace”, isolated by trees and surrounded by tight security.
Moon Jae-in, the outgoing president had previously stated that he would seek a new office. However, security and logistical issues forced him to abandon this plan.
Yoon stated that the defense ministry compound has been well-equipped with command and national security facilities. This makes it possible to make the transition without disrupting security or inconvenience residents.
According to the Ministry of Economy and Finance, the move would cost 49.6 trillion won (40.1 million). This includes the relocation of the defense ministry and the renovation of the office and the official residence.
Fusion MediaFusion Media or any other person involved in the website will not be held responsible for any loss or damage resulting from reliance on this information, including charts, buy/sell signals, and data. Trading the financial markets is one of most risky investment options. Please make sure you are fully aware about the costs and risks involved.
[ad_2]
