Stock Groups

Southern Californians told to restrict lawn watering to one day a week -Breaking

[ad_1]

© Reuters. FILEPHOTO: Los Angeles sprinklers water the grass March 31, 2010. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni/File Photo

Written by Dan Whitcomb

LOS ANGELES (Reuters), Approximately 6 million Californians have been told to water their yards and gardens at least once a week. The Metropolitan Water District made the announcement Wednesday, citing California’s historical drought.

This order applies to some areas in Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego counties. It does not affect all counties.

Metropolitan Water District officials warned residents not to water their property if they don’t follow the original order. This will take effect from June 1st.

“If we don’t see cutbacks, or conditions do not get better, the Metropolitan board has given me the authority to ban all watering as soon as Sept. 1,” MWD general manager Adel Hagekhalil told a news conference, according to the Los Angeles Times.

It comes as a result of three years’ drought conditions in California. The local authorities will enforce the edict and impose a $2,000 sanction on anyone who waters their lawns more frequently than once per week.

These restrictions are the first to be imposed.

“Metropolitan never used this kind of restriction on outdoor water usage.” Hagekhalil made a statement that said, “But we are faced with unprecedented reductions in Northern California supplies. We have to respond by unprecedented measures.”

Last month, Governor Gavin Newsom urged Southern Californians not to use more water than 20-30 percent.

[ad_2]