Brilliant Freelance Careers that You Might be Interested In
Working as a freelancer can be a difficult and wonderful thing to do. It can bring freedom and hardship in equal measures, but the most important thing to know about freelance work is that it is not for everyone.
This article aims to highlight some fantastic freelance careers that exist and explain the fundamentals of a freelance career so that you can make up your mind as to whether or not freelancing is a good option for you.
Great Freelance Careers
Now the wonderful thing about freelance is that almost any passion can be turned into a career with enough pluck and determination. There are, however, certain freelance careers that are far more common than the careers that freelancers craft for themselves out of passion.
Here is a quick list of some of the most well-known.
- Words are one of the most powerful tools that mankind ever made. Language is fundamental to almost any business, you have to be able to communicate to sell things after all, which means that almost every business will need a copywriter at one point or another. However, most businesses don’t need a full-time copywriter 24/7, which means freelancer is the way to go.
- Delivery and Shipping Work.
- The internet has brought with it an age of digital shopping. A magical time where you can buy almost anything with the click of a button. Of course, this means that someone, somewhere is going to have to bring what you’ve bought to you. This is where shipping work and an online load board come in. After all, with all the deliveries that need to be made, there is never a shortage of work for freelancers.
- Graphic Art.
- People love art, but few are actually capable of it. So, those artists who want to make a living through the trade can often make a pretty penny by selling their services online.
This is far from a comprehensive list of popular freelance careers, and if freelance is something you’re thinking about, then you should definitely have a more in-depth look around.
So now that you understand some of the most prevalent freelance career options around, it is probably worth covering the fundamentals of freelance so you can understand how it works.
As a freelance worker you are essentially operating as a business that has only one person. You. This means that you are responsible for every element of how your freelance business operates, from the hours that you work, to the amount you charge for that work, and even what the work itself is.
This can sound like a pretty sweet deal, and yes, it does bring a lot of freedom (it’s even in the name), but it comes with a lot of drawbacks too. Chances are you can already see the benefits of being a freelancer in your mind so here is a quick list of the drawbacks you probably haven’t thought of.
- You have to find your own work constantly, otherwise you don’t earn anything
- You have to market yourself. Who would hire you otherwise?
- You have to build your skills. After all, who wants to pay for something they could do themselves
This isn’t intended to scare you away from the career of freelancing but rather to make sure that you go into it with a full understanding of what it truly is.